Application for Graduate Study
Admission to the Department of Romance Languages is for the Fall semester only (starting in August). The Department and The Graduate School must have all of your application materials by January 1st. Students must have a B.A. degree in the language of study or equivalent to enter our M.A. programs and a M.A. or equivalent to enter our Ph.D. program. Since admission is granted by both the Graduate School and the Department of Romance Languages, there are two parts to your application for admission. You must complete both parts by the departmental deadline of January 1st.
Part 1. Graduate School Materials
All application materials will be submitted directly to the Graduate School via the Graduate School Admissions web site, where you can apply online. The Graduate School will need a completed application form, payment of an application fee, and official transcripts from any institutions of higher education you have attended. GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores are no longer required for admission to this program, although they may be required to apply for some Graduate School fellowships. TOEFL (Test of English As a Foreign Language) scores are required for applicants whose primary language is not English, unless you have completed a BA or MA in the United States or another English-speaking nation. On the TOEFL (if required) a combined score of 80 is necessary for admission, and a 26 on the spoken section is necessary to hold a teaching assistantship.
International applicants require some additional information and forms also available at the Graduate School Admissions web site.
Part 2. Departmental Materials
You will need to upload the following supplemental materials to the application website, where specified:
- Three recommendations. You should request 3 letters of recommendation from people who can describe your academic accomplishments and your readiness for graduate study. The letters should be submitted electronically by January 1 through the UGA Graduate School website.
- Curriculum vitae. Your CV should include any honors, awards, teaching or research experience.
- Statement of purpose. Your 1-2 page statement should include a description of any personal, professional, or educational experiences that have prepared you or contributed to your desire to pursue advanced study in Romance Languages, as well as a description of your tentative study interests and your career goals.
- A writing sample, such as a research paper, in the language of study (7-10 pages for M.A. applicants, 10-20 pages for Ph.D. applicants).
Additionally, you will need to download, fill out, save, and upload the following materials to the field "Program-Specific Supplemental Materials."
- If applying for a TAship: Academic Background and Application for Teaching Assistantship. Download the Academic Background and Graduate Assistantship Application Forms.
- If applying for admission, but NOT a Teaching Assistantship: Academic Background. Download the Academic Background Form
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
Dr. Alberto Villate-Isaza
Administrative Specialist I
Top of page